Prerequisite: Metalsmithing 2
Alternative Clasps & Closures 2: Sunday & Monday, Aug 28–29
This session will focus on: Rotating Key Lock clasp, Puzzle Lock clasp, and the Wedge Lock clasp. Additional clasps may be explored if time allows.
Suzanne will show you how to create clasps and closures that are unique, functional, fun to make, intriguing and engaging to look at, and invite—like a puzzle—being taken apart and put back together.
The clasps themselves are the focus of these workshops, and you will complete as many as time allows. Finishing will be done on your own, as the workshops are dedicated to fabrication and assembly.
The first day of each workshop will begin with a presentation that includes a section on clasp inspirations—ideas coming from everyday industrial, non-jewelry objects.
You are welcome to take one or both workshops—instruction on different types of clasps will be covered in each.
As part of your tuition, you will receive a Materials Kit ($40 value) for each workshop containing Sterling Silver parts for the Clasps. These kits include only the parts for the clasps, you are responsible for bring the additional tools and materials listed below.
MATERIALS & TOOLS
Bring your metalsmithing toolbox and the following items with you:
- Pliers: Round, chain nose, flat, half round, and 1 pair with Teflon/nylon jaws (if you have them)
- Digital ruler/calipers
- Ball pein hammer and small anvil or steel block (to hammer on)
- Rawhide mallet
- Saw frame and blades: 2/0 or 3/0
- Beeswax/blade lube
- Drill bits (bring a variety of smaller sizes)
- File set, regular and mini sizes
- Shears and nippers
- A selection of round burrs (including 4mm) and crosscut or cylinder burrs and diamond burrs (if you have them)
- Centering punch (a sharpened nail will work)
- Coarse sanding discs (Moore’s snap-on) and snap-on mandrel
- Sandpaper 220 grit and/or Sanding Sticks
- Safety glasses
- Particulate respirator (P95 or N95 or better)
- Additional Sterling Silver sheet 22-20ga (bring what you have on hand)
- Bench pin with V-slot (each bench has one, but bring your own, if you like!)
Alternative Clasps & Closures 2: Sun & Mon, Aug 28–29