Prerequisite: Metalsmithing 1
An embellishment is defined as “a decorative detail or feature added to something to make it more attractive”.
Participants will learn various ways to add decorative details to their work to elevate their designs. In this workshop, we will cover how to both taper and ball up round wire to create different styles of wire accents. Students will also learn how to create beaded decorations from fine silver and how to use a shot plate to create crescent, concho, star, or flower-shaped metal impressions.
Participants can also play with die cast bezel cups to add a few accent stones.
The goal of the workshop is to demonstrate multiple ways for you to add decorative features to your work. Jewelry doesn’t need to be ordinary, it can be as simple or as complex as your imagination can design.
MATERIALS & TOOLS
Bring your Metalsmithing toolbox, including the following items:
- 2x3” 20 gauge Sterling silver sheet, dead soft
- 6" or more Argentium Round Wire, 14 gauge, dead soft
- 1 foot bezel wire of choice, fit to stone (26 ga plain bezel recommended)
- some Fine Silver scrap (to make shot plate impressions)
- 1 or more 4–5 mm round or oval sterling silver bezel cups (Rio Grande and Otto Frei have a variety)
- 1 or more 4–5 mm round or oval cabochons (Rio Grande and Otto Frei have a variety of stones)
- 1 Cabochon, flat bottomed, any shape and size
- 1 foot of each hard, medium, easy, extra-easy silver wire solders
- Jeweler’s Saw Frame
- 2/0 saw blades and bees wax/blade lube
- Flush wire cutters
- Chain Nose and Flat Nose pliers
- Metal Jeweler’s Ruler
- Half-Round Habilis file, cut #00
- Round needle file, cut #0 (or get the set here)
- Sanding Sticks/Sandpaper in 220, 320, 400, 600 grit
- Bezel roller
- Dedeco Silicone Abrasive Polishing wheels (Rio Grande #332579)
- Radial Bristle discs in blue, peach and lt green, plus mandrels
- eye protection
- N95/P95 face mask or particulate respirator
- Brass texture plate (Cool Tools and Santa Fe Jewelers Supply have these)
- Wite-Out w/brush
8 Contact Hours | Studio fee is included in your tuition ($5 value)
Jewelry Embellishments: Fri, Apr 29