Mon, Aug 22 • 10am–2pm
Prerequisite: Metalsmithing 1
This is a great opportunity to learn finishing techniques from an accomplished goldsmith! John will take you through the steps with tools and supplies that will give you a professional look to your work. Proper finishes give you the edge when photographing your work for shows, potential customers and social media. This is a must for jewelers that want to take their work to the next level.
MATERIALS & TOOLS LIST:
- Bring a simple fabricated or cast ring band that you have not done any filing or finishing on to learn the techniques, and other unfinished pieces to work on as time allows.
- Files, #2 cut: Barette, Crossing, Triangle, Equalling, Square, Round
- Ring Clamp
- Jeweler's Saw Frame
- Beeswax or synthetic lube for saw blades
A Materials Kit ($45 value) is included in your tuition and contains:
- 12" Bastard Mill File
- Cratex Wheels: Coarse, Medium, Fine and Extra Fine, square and knife edge, 1 each
- Mandrels for Cratex wheels
- Mizzy heatless wheels 1/8" & 1/4" thick = 1/2", 3/4", & 1"
- Use of studio polishing compounds: Bobbing/Tripoli and Rouge
4 Contact Hours
Professional Finishing: Mon, Aug 22