Prerequisite: Metalsmithing 1 or equivalent
Botanical accents in jewelry are a continuing trend.
In this 2-day workshop, you will learn to create detailed botanical embellishments in sterling silver without the need for casting!
Toyoko, a licensed PMC instructor, will guide you through creating your embellishments using a torch-fired PMC process and will discuss what to look for when creating these delicate details. Once you have learned the basics, this process is easy to replicate in your own studio.
You will finish the workshop by creating a sterling silver pendant featuring your detailed botanicals.
A Materials Kit (a $25 value) is included in your tuition and contains: brushes, leaves/organic materials, oxidizer, polishing paper, polishing wax, 1" square piece of 20 ga Sterling silver sheet, and 20 ga Sterling silver strip (for bezel).
MATERIALS & TOOLS:
Bring your metalsmithing toolbox including the following items:
- PMC3 Silver Clay, 15 grams (Rio Grande #100714)
- 3M Sponge Sanding Pads, Set of 5 (Rio Grande #337318)
- Jeweler’s saw frame, 3/0 or 4/0 blades and beeswax
- Hard, medium, and easy silver solder
- Polishing cloth (part of an old t-shirt works great)
- Round nose pliers
- Forming pliers to shape bezel (ring bending pliers, or Flat/Half-Round pliers Rio #111180)
- Brass Wire Bristle Brush (Rio Grande #113172) (or get a cheapie from Home Depot)
- Sterling Silver Chain, 16-18" long (or longer) for pendant
12 Contact Hours
Splendid Botanicals: Tue & Wed, July 5–6
Metalsmithing 1 or equivalent